English as a Second Language
Adults learning to speak English as a second language Mary Johnson: A series of books developed for persons new to speaking English. The course, developed in Canada for immigrants, is based on sound phonetic principles and is well tested. All books are 8 x 11" paperbacks.
38. Beginners: Building the Foundation a handbook (21 pages) for helpers which outlines the course and gives the tutor background to understand and use the various books; Survival English For Newcomers a tutors handbook (23 pages) for teaching beginning literacy18 beginning lessons; The ABCs studentss workbook (50 pages) is a series of lessons to learn the letter names and sounds; Steps To Literacy Series I students workbook (49 pages) is a book combining learning English with reading and spelling; 4 books.
39. Intermediate: Foundation For Literacy I a student workbook (56 pages) to give the student further training in understanding, spelling and reading English words; Steps To Literacy Series II a student book (49 pages) continuing the work from Series I; Old Tales For New Readers a basic reading workbook (51 pages) with a crossword puzzle with each story using the words and ideas from the story; Proverbs Say It Best a workbook (42 pages) with a proverb on each page and a system for the student to paraphrase it; 4 books.
40. Intermediate II: Sounds and Stress a student reading book ( 58 pages) designed to help improve oral communication. Many tips on pronunciation and enunciation; Verbs & Conjunctions In Simple Sentence Patterns a student book (32 pages) to help use conjunctions and verbs correctly; 2 books.
41. Advanced: Foundation For Literacy II a student workbook (48 pages) designed to help students with spelling; Steps To Literacy IIIA a student workbook (52 pages) for additional work on speech sounds, spelling patterns, sentence building, and the parts of speech; Steps To Literacy IIIB a workbook (45 pages) continuing the work of IIIA; 3 books.
42. Complete Set of 13 booklets.
Return to Reading Reform Foundation Home Page